How to Make Money Coding and Programming From Home?
As the business of IT is developing in the world, the value of programming skills is increasing continuously. What’s truly exciting about this is how the internet has created economic opportunity for a single programmer working alone. Do you want to know how to make money coding and programming from home? In this article, I am going to share with you some ways of making incomes from coding and programming.
How to Make Money Coding and Programming From Home?
Freelancing is no longer a new term to most of us. Many people get to work at home for money without committing to any long term business or agency. This seems to become very popular over the years due to the advancement of technology and internet connections. There are several other reasons why people prefer to do freelancing:-
- You get to work on areas that you are passionate about. It is always more motivating to do things that you are interested in.
- Flexible work schedule and venue. You can work as you travel. Most people do freelancing as they wish to spend quality time with their loved ones at home.
- You can maintain the relation with your client by doing appropriate interaction. It can also be a long term work relationship.
- You could potentially make more money than your 9-to-5 job as you earn good reputations.
- You can be your own boss. The boon and bane. You can take only the jobs you really like, and there is a greater variety of projects than in a fixed developer position.
There are several platforms on the market that you can become a freelance programmer. Some freelancing sites like the followings should be on your list:-
Tips for Freelancing
Do what you know. There are many programming languages out there on the market. When you do freelancing, you should remember that clients pay you to solve problems. You are not paid to learn new tools and languages. It is always good to expand your programming skills to learn other languages. However, you should only bid for the job that you are confident with.
Don’t do everything. People often have wrong mindsets when it comes to freelancing. They think they can earn more money when they receive more work order. It is essential to stick with your competencies and prioritize only the work that will help to bring in more assignments. Do a good job, leave your clients happy, work with other freelancers and develop a network of people who will recommend you and send work your way.
Don’t subcontract. You should work with other freelancers and don’t subcontract your work out. The reason being you will need to spend as much time explaining the project and review someone’s work. You will not earn much by subcontracting your work out to the others. If you receive a lot of work, you can try to refer it to other freelancers who will return the favor in the near future.
Do use a contract. If an existing client comes back to you for some new jobs, remember to always use a contract on every project. All you need for the time being is a general agreement that covers some basic, yet important terms that both you and the client need to agree upon. In its simplest form, your contract terms should cover:
- The work that you produce is original and not plagiarized.
- The client’s proprietary information stays confidential.
- Your payments terms. (How much you’ll get paid and when during the process.)
- That once the client accepts the completed work, they accept full responsibility for any further processes in which the work is used (e.g. printing, putting logo to use, etc.)
- You and the client have the right to terminate the services, and what that entails for you both.
If you need a reference, you can download some sample contracts from Elance.com.
Do get a down payment. One of the biggest issues you hear about freelancing is not getting paid on time or getting stiffed by the client. Hence, it is totally fine to ask for 30% to 50% upfront before you start any work and make this very clear to your clients prior to any work execution.
Do invest and save your earning. If you’re serious about freelancing, then start separating your income and save. For every dollar you make that’s business related, you can split it up like this:
- 12% to business (for business related expenses)
- 16% to business taxes
- 12% to personal savings
- 10% to diversify your long-term investment portfolio
- What’s left over goes into your personal checking for living expenses
#2 Make Your Own Website
This is another great way of earning money with programming. You can make your own website and share your programming ideas with suitable tricks and tips. It can also be a blog website.
What are the benefits of having your own website?
- This is one of the easiest ways to earn money on programming. There are a lot of young programmers in every city. You could offer a webinar through your website or real life classes by advertising your services on your website. I can guarantee you that there is someone out there who would pay for your programming skills.
- You do not need to be a programming Guru who knows everything. You do not have to, you just have to know about the basics to teach it. Of course, it will be great if you are an expert.
- You can also share your portfolios inside your website for attracting the visitors and easily earn with Google Adsense.
- Advertisement- You can sell link or banners on your websites once you get some traffic.
- If you are more talented then you can start you own social networking site, but you must have a unique idea with a mind blowing design to do that because there are a lot of competition in the social networking market.
I already mentioned that you can use the internet to provide your programming services. However, you need to get people to notice your services to start off with.
That’s why making your own website is so powerful. When you build your own website, you have the chance to promote it yourself and to make sure that people find it when they search online. As you can see, once you have your own website, you can do whatever you want. There is more than one way to make money coding and programming from having a website.
The process also involves relatively little monetary investment (domain and hosting), which is great for getting started. At the same time, you don’t have to be the best programmer in the world to make money this way. After all, you’re using the website itself to get people to see programming information and tips. When people find your site valuable to them, you will eventually get some work orders and request for online training courses.
There are several advertising and monetization options, and your website, target audience, traffic volume, and visitor behavior will determine which options are the most reasonable for your particular website. Here in this infographic, I outlined some monetizing options to allow your website to generate revenue, whether you are trying to turn your website into a profitable business or just cover some of your operating expenses.
My personal experience tells me that monetizing a website is a great opportunity to generate steady residual income.
With several monetization options, it is a good idea to try several and then stick with the ones that earn you the most money per visitor. With all of the analytical and conversion data available you will be able to determine exactly how much each visitor is worth. Some of the most profitable websites have multiple income streams, so don’t be afraid to test several to determine what results in the biggest return for your site.
My all-time favorite is affiliate marketing because it is an effective way to monetize your website traffic because it allows you to present your visitors with offers (online courses, programming books, and etc) that they are likely to be interested in. You would place a banner or text link on your website that contained your affiliate link and directed the visitor to the offer.
Now, if they signed up for the particular offer, which in this case is a credit card, you would be compensated with an affiliate referral payment. Some credit card offers pay out $50 – $100 for every referral an affiliate sends.
Some affiliate programs you can participate include:-
Tips to start your own website
Don’t try and do all of these at once and make sure you give it some time to see results. No one is an overnight success and you need to see what will work for you and your audience.
The best way to get started in this field of online marketing and selling is with proper training. There are a lot of training options out there but many of those have the disadvantage of being low quality or incomplete. One particularly good choice for training in online marketing is a site called Wealthy Affiliate. This was actually where I learned most of what I know about making money online and I’m still an active member of the community.
It’s the perfect place to learn about making a successful website and it doesn’t even matter what you want your site to be about.
#3 Develop Games and Make Money
Game developing is a department, where a lot of programmers come and make money with that. If you also got this type of unique talent, then you can try your luck here to earn a decent income from it. It also depends on your taste and interest in a particular field. How do you do it?
- You can develop your own games and sell it on half.ebay.com and Amazon.com. Xbox games are preferable choices here for buying and selling.
- You can easily develop Android/IOS games and sell them in the market.
- You can make your own online game and earn money with Google Adsense. Google Adsense program for online games was started in the last quarter of the year 2008. This is AdSense product from google which allows you to display ads in between the game’s one level completion, starting the game or after finishing the game. Like google ads on websites, advertisements on online games are just like the same. Video ads, image ads or text ads can be displayed on your online game. By doing this you can earn huge money from Google Adsense.
- You can sell your games online on Fupa.com, which provides you a great opportunity to get money.
#4 Develop a Trendy Application
It’s not a hard work for a programmer to develop a trendy application and sell that in the market. You can also do that by selecting application development sources. There is various media present in the internet world for making this process easy.
As an App programmer, if you are lucky enough, maybe you become million dollar man in just a few days. There are occasions where you have to wait for a long time to generate money here, it all depends on your quality of the application.
One thing, though, there is a big difference in making an app for Android and an app for iOS, and that is the fact that making an app for Google Play costs just 25$ one-off, making an app for iOS costs 99$ a year, so if you are making an app for iOS, I will recommend you to be a bit more confident about the way you will make money by your app, than if you are making an app for Android.
#5 Make a plugin or theme for WordPress
If you are a web programmer, this is a great way to make some money from home. One-quarter of all websites in the world uses WordPress.
You can develop WordPress plugins or themes yourself, or you could work together with some other people. You can make almost anything you would like to, anything from a donation plugin to a share button, to a Star Wars theme.
You can choose to make it free, and earn the money through advertising or donations, or make it premium and get the money directly, it is all up to you.
If you are not familiar with WordPress and plugin development, I recommend you to check out Treehouse, and Alecaddd. Two of them are by far the best platform that offers great training courses on WordPress development.
One good thing about WordPress development is the documentation provided by WordPress is great, so you will not have to search around Stack Overflow all day long to find your answers.
#6 Take a Part in Programming Contests
It’s a well famous and growing way for earning income with programming. You can participate in different programming contests and make money there. There are various types of websites available in the market, where you complete your profile and complete the contests for making money.
Some Legal Websites for taking part in programming contests:
Surely it’s a great way to earn a decent income, and it is a good learning process too.
It is not complicated at all to make money coding and programming from home. You just have to show your quality skills and have a positive attitude.